Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How I Became a Film Scorer...

So now that you know what my goal is for starting this blog I can begin with what events and people God has placed in my life to make me do what I want to do. This honestly started when I was 12 or 13.
I originally just wanted to do performance. Write my own music and perform in front of people and maybe even concert halls. And this is my big dream I had at this age, and you must know, this is coming from a kid who wanted to be a dentist for 7 years.

It was until my parents and friends I played for started telling me they could here my music in films. "Huh!" I thought, "I could never be able to do that!" I acknowledged the thought but I put it aside. It was until the day I went to an airsoft/birthday party when my gears shifted. That night, my friends and I were all surrounding the piano in the living room singing and fooling around with me at the piano of course. I could never stay away from any instrument and had to play it! My friend, who I will remain quiet of his name, brought a couple more people by and asked me to play this song I had composed, and so I did. 
Everyone seemed to be quite impressed but this one kid, who is still my best friend today and we actually work together towards our careers, Todd Kaumans' mouth was disengaged and open. He then later came to me that day and wanted to know if I would be interested in writing scores for some of his films in the future. I agreed and thus began my slow interest in wanting to do film scores. A year and a half ago he contacted me for a job to score a 9 min short film called, War Torn, that he was submitting into the worlds biggest youth film festival, ages running from 6-22 years old, representing 8,500+ people, 40 States and 12 countries. 
NFFTY is the name of the festival.


With all this going on in the course of years, my family has been the greatest encouragement to me aiming for a goal and something I want to do with my life so I owe it all to them, but I  have some very very dear and close friends who have helped me as well significantly, and I know if you all are reading this I am talking about you and I want to thank you so so much for it! It has meant a lot to me and I will never forget the words and encouraging things ya'll have done and said!
I, most importantly, want to thank God for putting these things in my life to figure out what I want to do with myself!
And so now, I am working on my second project for a film I wrote as well called, The Unknown, and the biggest project I have done so far! I will be writing of that journey very soon!
But now you know how I came to be interested in film scoring! It is a very neat  process and I love how Micheal Giacchino states it, "Music must tell a story...", and I love to tell stories. It's something I fear is losing its touch, and I, like Micheal, wish to restore that!
 (This is me and Todd being interviewed at the red carpet of NFFTY's Opening day!)

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Vinnie. You followed you dream and now it is coming true. So much like you Father !

    ReplyDelete